Here's a fun twist on your typical Mexican Chili. Leftovers are perfect the next day for lunch or freeze for the next time you need a healthy prepared meal.
Ground meat is optional for our vegan and vegetarian friends.
Makes 4 servings
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 lb ground beef, extra lean (can replace with ground turkey, chicken, pork or combo)
4 cups diced tomatoes
1 tsp oregano
1 bay leaf
3 cups sweet potatoes, diced
½ cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup zucchini, diced
1 cup red pepper, diced
2 cups kale leaves, chopped
3 dashes salt & pepper
1. Heat olive oil in large soup pot.
2. Add diced onion and cook until translucent.
3. Add beef and spices. Cook until beef is brown.
4. Add diced tomatoes, and add additional can of water to the pot.
5. Add sweet potato, mushrooms, carrots, and rest of spices.
6. Lower heat and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add zucchini and red pepper. Cook for another 20 minutes.
8. Add kale, salt and pepper and cook for 10 more minutes.
9. Remove bay leaf. Serve and enjoy! Feel free to garnish with diced avocado, fresh cilantro, spring onion, a wedge of lime. Side of rice is optional for those carb lovers.